Intel® server processors are extending the benefits of software virtualization far beyond consolidation to increase data center flexibility, productivity, and TCO. Intel helps you get the most out of your virtualization initiative by integrating unique hardware-assist features into physical server platforms.
Three of Intel’s newest server processors—the Intel® Xeon® processor 5600 series, the Intel® Xeon® processor E7 family, and the Intel® Itanium® processor 9300 series—have virtualization technology built right in. The benefits of this approach include:
- Acceleration of fundamental virtualization processes throughout the platform
- Reduced latencies and fewer potential bottlenecks
- Improved short- and long-term value from your software and server investments
Because Intel server processors do more with less, energy efficiency increases while server sprawl decreases.
See Intel’s virtualization capabilities
Transform your data center with Intel® Virtualization Technology (Intel® VT)
Intel server processors help you build a more agile, efficient, and secure data center by providing:
- More performance and increased consolidation ratios
- Business continuity and increased user uptime through virtual machine failover, load balancing, and disaster recovery capabilities enabled by seamless live migration
- A foundation for trust and compliance with security technology built in, allowing you to verify the trustworthiness of a virtualized pool of platforms
Interoperability and investment protection for your virtualized environment
Virtualization’s most promising benefit is its ability to optimize resource utilization by migrating live applications across existing networks with no application downtime. Intel® Virtualization Technology FlexMigration (Intel® VT FlexMigration) takes the migration concept a step further by allowing the live migration of virtual machines across multiple generations of Intel® Xeon® processor–based servers. With this capability, you get the benefits of:
- Interoperability: shared resources among diverse operating systems, versions, and applications increase overall efficiency and utilization
- Investment protection: combines existing processor generations into the same virtualized server pool, extending failover, improving load balancing, and providing the most value from existing IT infrastructure
With advances in productivity, utilization, energy savings, manageability, and service levels, Intel server processors make a compelling investment for your IT organization and your business as a whole.
Hear about the many business upsides of virtualization
Learn from your peers at Intel
Some of the world’s most successful companies, including Intel’s own IT department, have used virtualization to transform their data centers in key, rapidly developing areas such as cloud computing.